Dsposal is a clean-tech start-up building easy-to-use tech to connect waste producers to licensed waste services and simplify compliance. We make the relevant data accessible and convenient to drive change and create value.
Based in Manchester, Dsposal is working towards a world where all waste is treated as a resource. Founded by Tom Passmore and Sophie Walker in 2016 with the online platform launching in March 2018, Dsposal has burst onto the resources, recycling and waste industry and is already making waves.
What we build
We build easy-to-use tech to connect UK waste producers to licensed waste services and simplify compliance. We believe in making the relevant data accessible and convenient to use, driving behaviour change and creating value by maximising the utility of waste.
What we value
Our values are important to us. They are our ‘why’, they define how we work as a company and they guide us as individuals.
Because, there is no away.
- There is no such thing as throwing waste “away”. It goes somewhere.
- There is a global waste crisis and this problem isn’t going “away” by itself. We’re aware of the problem, it’s on our watch, we need to take responsibility to solve it.
- There is no getting “away” from this problem.
Resources are limited. Act like it.
- Earth's materials are finite; we need to understand that.
- Time is a limited resource; don't waste it.
- Money is a limited resource; make it work hard.
- Our customers, suppliers and colleagues are precious; value them.
Cultivate the compost.
- The business we build and the culture we develop must create a nourishing environment that encourages personal, professional and economic growth (but not at the expense of the environment).
- A quality compost helps to retain goodness and feeds into a virtuous nutrient cycle. By cultivating a great compost we enable not just ourselves to flourish, but also others in our ecosystem – our colleagues, customers, suppliers and networks.
- The act of composting takes ‘waste’ and turns it into something useful and valuable; always look for ways to add value, be resourceful and see the potential in ‘waste’.
Tom is responsible for the overall direction and product strategy of Dsposal. He oversees the technical developments, design and user experience of the platform. Tom has a love of tech, a passion for the waste and resources industry and is a self-confessed waste-data geek. A reluctant entrepreneur with a huge drive to solve problems and try to leave the world a bit better than he found it, Tom came up with the idea for Dsposal whilst on a 9-month cycle tour around North America. He prefers the intellectual challenges and security found in an office job over the freedom of a traveller’s life, but he still thinks that commuting by bike is the best.
As the chief operating officer Sophie is responsible for the business operations at Dsposal, including overseeing the legal and financial functions, building our culture and heading up customer service. Sophie has been surprised by how much she loves the start-up life and thrives at the edge of her comfort zone. An adventurer at heart, Sophie has swapped the riskiness and uncertainty of long-term cycle touring for the thrill and excitement of setting up your own business. She has a first-class honours degree in Conflict Resolution from The University of Bradford and she now sits on the MBA Industry Advisory Board for the Faculty of Management and Law.
As the full stack developer Georgios keeps the technology running and builds the functionality to help everybody find the right place for their waste. Georgios is new to the world of waste but has graduated with a masters in cloud computing from Newcastle University.
A world where all waste is treated as a resource.
Maximising the utility of waste via easy to use ubiquitous tech, making the relevant data accessible and useful to all waste producers everywhere to drive behaviour change and create value.